Welcome to the Matilda Joslyn Gage Center for Social Justice Dialogue! We invite you to:
* sit on the furniture
*eat and drink
* take photos
* touch the exhibits
* play the piano and sing abolition and women’s rights songs that Matilda sang
* and write on our walls.
The house is open for visitor-inspired tours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
10AM to 4PM
Tour availability is subject to change. For best experience, please call in advance (315)-637-9511.
Full, docent-led tours for groups of 3 or more must be scheduled in advance, and are dependent upon volunteer docent availability. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements, they are well worth it!
If you’d like a guided tour, here are the possibilities we’d like to offer you:
1) “Tell me about Matilda” Tour
Curious about Matilda Joslyn Gage? Want to see her restored home? This docent-led tour is an introduction to Gage and her work.
- Begin with a short film featuring Gloria Steinem, the country’s first woman Lt. Governor Mary Anne Krupsak and descendants of Gage.
- Sit at Matilda’s desk and read her letters. Play with 19th century toys. Experience being an enslaved person hiding from slave-catchers in the walls of the house.
- Share your ideas about everything from human trafficking to equal pay for equal work.
- Be part of the creation of the Gage Center by brainstorming with us about the programs and exhibits you’d like in each of our social justice-themed rooms.
- Adults: $8
- Seniors (62+): $6
- Students with ID, and school-age children: $5
- Pre-school children free
- Group rate (10 or more adults): $6
2) Tea, Tour, and Talk
- Recreate a 19th century woman’s rights tea in the parlor where Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Matilda Joslyn Gage planned their revolution.
- While you enjoy tea and cookies, visit with a Gage docent who will visit with you about Matilda, answer your questions and listen to your thoughts about her work and ideas.
$12/person. Schedule in advance, minimum three people, maximum 25.
3) High Tea in the Gage Center
* Perfect for a birthday, club meeting or a special event.
* Features our signature scones and lemon curd along with:
- Cheese, Crackers, Breads
- Tea Sandwiches & Mini Entrees
- Black Tea, Green Tea & Herbal Tea
$25/person. Minimum 10 people; maximum 25. Limit to one a month so book early.
4) Rent the Gage Center for a Party, Workshop, Retreat, or Special Event
Meetings: $200 1-3 hours, $350 full day.
- Free to groups that join 100% as members.
- Discounted rates are available.
5) Also Available for Groups
Birthday coming up for young or old? A special meeting or conference? Out of town guests who would enjoy a tour? We’ve even hosted a wedding reception! Let us work with you on any ideas you have for the use of the Center. Just give us a call and we will make your event happen.
- Talks about Gage off-site
- Living history portrayals of Matilda Joslyn Gage
- Lectures by Gage Foundation Founding Director Dr. Sally Roesch Wagner for nonprofits available through the Speakers in the Humanities Program of the New York Council for the Humanities.
- Fees negotiated on individual basis. For more information, contact the Gage Center at (315) 637-9511 or foundation@MatildaJoslynGage.org